Thursday, April 13, 2017

OCD/Orthorexia: Unhealthy Obsessions

Hello, Beautiful World!

I CANNOT believe it's already Week 10!!!! Like where has the time gone?!?!?!?! I swear, just yesterday I was starting to write my first post, thinking it'll be such a long time before I'm on Week 10... and here we are, friends đŸ˜’.  Thank you to everyone for all of the wonderful support and love you've shown me on my blogging journey. To be completely honest, I think I'll still continue posting here occasionally under a new tab (I'll call it: Looking into the Future). What do you guys think?


Getting to the final disorder covered here on my blog, OCD/orthorexia, we'll begin with some general statistics and facts:

  • OCD*:
    • In the US, ~1 in 40 adults (~2.3% of the total population) and ~1 in 100 children are estimated to have OCD
    • The following disorders may coexist with OCD: bipolar disorders, depression, ADHD, eating disorders, ASD, and TS. 

  • Orthorexia**: 'an obsession with eating only healthy or "pure" foods'
    • Term coined in 1996
    • Sorry, I couldn't find many more statistics haha so that'll have to do :D
What surprised me about these statistics was how many other disorders OCD could coexist with!


Before meeting with Dr. AnnĂ©, I conducted a survey and looked through everyday media relevant to OCD/orthorexia. Starting off the meeting by asking her what misconceptions clients ​may have regarding orthorexia, I learned that clients think orthorexia is an eating disorder (which is wrong- it is a form of OCD). Orthorexia is not a formal diagnosis, nor is it under OCD. Clinically, however, it is seen through the lens of rigid OCD, not eating disorders (because eating disorders are superficially about body image and calories, while orthorexia is more about being clean, pure, and healthy). For OCD, clients commonly think that OCD is only about being super orderly and clean. Instead, these are characteristics of OCPD (obsessive compulsive personality disorder), while avoiding germs and washing your hands frequently are signs of OCD. 


From here, Dr. Anné and I discussed more about OCD/orthorexia using the survey questions as a basis:

Misconceptions:
  • Myth: Orthorexia is a sort of fad; suddenly people are focused on eating raw, organic, gluten-free, non-processed, and non-GMO foods. 
    • Truth: Well, both eating disorders and orthorexia are OCD-based. Eating disorders can start as a diet, and then manifest into an eating disorder. The same applies to orthorexia: it can start with simply eating 'organic food,' but then become a problem.
  • Myth: It is obvious when someone has OCD.
    • Truth: It isn't unless you live with that person. It's more of an internal process than an external. 
  • Myth: People with OCD are weak-willed and need to relax.
    • Truth: Both people with OCD and OCPD wish they can relax, but cannot do so. With OCPD, a person is perfectionistic, driven, and organized to the point where it is stressful if anything isn't so. With OCD, one cannot relax because of all of the anxiety that fills them. 
  • Myth: OCD is a personality quirk.
    • Truth: It is rather a very genetic and biological/biochemistry-based disorder. It tends to run in families. For the most part, one is born towards that tendency, rather than being created out of the blue. There is also a certain component of chronic stress, which can trigger the OCD more frequently.
  • Myth: All neat freaks have OCD.
    • Truth: No, but many might (however, it is more OCPD than OCD). 
  • Myth: OCD isn't treatable and can be diagnosed through blood tests. 
    • Truth: OCD is very treatable because it is biological/has a physical cause. Hence, it is highly responsive to medication. There is no blood test, but rather an assessment based upon thought-processes and behaviors and genetic history. 
Some things that can be the truth or a myth, depending upon the case: 
  • It's not that people with OCD LOVE keeping things neat and organized, but rather they need to. It becomes stressful for them not to go through with a behavior, only feeling calm and peaceful after completing so. 
  • Cleanliness and being a 'germaphobe' are both ways, out of many, that OCD can manifest itself. However, what really defines OCD is a fear-driven anxiety. There is a compulsive behavior that gives way to anxious thoughts, and only going through with the behavior undoes the thought. For example: if I say goodbye to my family three times, they won't get into a car accident. It's out of fear-driven compulsion that one does this (so that the family does not get into a car accident). If one doesn't say goodbye three times, there will be an intrusive thought that something bad will happen to the family that will only go away when the behavior is complete.
From here, we discussed the portrayal of OCD/orthorexia in the media:
  • Rain Man:
    • He had autism, not OCD. 
  • What about Bob?:
    • He had Dependent-Personality Disorder, not OCD. 
  • Snow White (Snow Whiter's obsession with cleanliness in the dwarves home):
    • That's a bit of a stretch. It's more of her feministic character being a housecleaner for the dwarves than OCD. 

So where do all of these myths and misconceptions surround OCD and orthorexia come from? It's all of the misunderstanding and misinformation that is spread about them. But also, it's that these are very complicated disorders (within the realm of disorders, there is OCD versus OCPD versus orthorexia, which may be a part of OCD, but isn't an actual diagnosis). It get's confusing, you know? There are so many nuances that it's hard to understand and tease apart what is what. Even I was getting confused at times even just learning about this all. 

Anyways, I'm going to end this post a little differently, as it is my last weekly post about disorders. I just really want to genuinely thank everyone that made this project happen. From Dr. Anné for presenting me the opportunity for the internship, to the whole A New Beginning team for making their office feel like a second home and spending time with me on my project, to Mr. Chadwick for the idea behind the project, and to everyone who reads this blog and gives it purpose! I love each and every one of you!!!! This project would have been nothing had I not had such a wonderful audience reading my posts with silly gifs. Thank you for joining me through this momentous journey! Until next time....

Lots of love đŸ’—,

--Saleena 




Sources:

* Facts about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (n.d.). Retrieved April 10, 2017, from http://beyondocd.org/ocd-facts. 
**Orthorexia Nervosa (n.d.). Retrieved April 10, 2017, from https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/orthorexia-nervosa.

20 comments:

  1. WE'RE ALMOST DONE! I also wanted to say that the amount of energy and research you put into these posts made them wonderful to read--and that I think you should be a psychologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASSS!!! I still cannot believe we're almost done; like, I'm not mentally here :D Awwwww <3 Thank you, Nicole! I'm glad my work paid off in the end, and that people enjoyed this project. Haha I'm pretty sure I've made that my backup plan if ortho isn't for me ;) But, definitely a minor!

      Delete
  2. Hey Saleena!
    I'm going to miss following your blog! it's crazy that it's almost over. Awesome job like always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nathan! Awww, I'm going to miss blogging and having an internship as well :( It's still very hard to believe I'm a senior and it's almost over! Thank you so much for all of your support and kindness!

      Delete
  3. Hi Saleena! I'm going to miss your blog- if you continue to post, I'll check it out! I'm your statistics, it showed that more adults have OCD than children, but that it can be passed genetically. Is this because a person can have OCD, but that it doesn't show signs until later in life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annalise! I'm going to miss this whole system too :( But, you'll def be seeing some more random posts here and there haha :D In terms of your question, I think you're correct (that the symptoms tend to be more noticeable later in life than as a kid). Thank you for all of your support and amazingness!

      Delete
  4. Hi Saleena! Your weekly posts have been so informative, and I've really learned a lot. In this post, I was a little confused about the relationship between eating disorders and OCD. Can OCD develop out of eating disorders because of obsessive restrictions? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nitya! I'm glad that my posts have made an impact :D In terms of your question, eating disorders can come about from the OCD characteristics of a restrictive diet and that mindset. I hope that helps! Thank you so much for all of your continuous support and kindness!

      Delete
  5. Hey Saleena! That was an amazing post! I've learned so much, and I agree that time has gone away too quickly. I've seen that a lot of people think they have OCD just because they may like things more clean than others, so I was wondering if you has any comments on that. Sorry, that was a really broad question-like thing. Good luck with the rest of your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Korina! Thank you so much, and I totally agree! I think OCD is more a fear-driven anxiety than simply being about cleanliness. Sure it is a symptom and a factor, but not the whole disorder. I hope that helps! Thank you, and same to you girlie!

      Delete
  6. Hey Saleena! Another great blog post! The fact that you might continue posting here shows your dedication and interest! Can't wait for your final product!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Layla! Thank you so much, and this has definitely been a very eye-opening experience that has made a huge impact on me personally. I can't wait to share my product!!!! Super cool :D

      Delete
  7. Hey, Saleena!! Your posts never seize to impress me! I have learned a lot in the past ten weeks about many types of disorders. I just have one question: What is OCPD? I am very immaculate. I was my hands very often and hate germs more than anything (its crazy). This post was especially fun to read because I love cleanliness and healthy eating. But I had no idea that healthy eating and cleanliness were serious disorders. Thank You so much for teaching me so much in the past ten weeks!! I wish you good luck on your presentation!
    -Pooja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pooja! Awwww, thank you so so much <3 I have also loved how my project has turned out, and the lovely support I have received. OCPD is obsessive compulsive personality disorder (basically when a person is perfectionistic, driven, and organized to the point where it is stressful if anything isn't so). I think I relate to this a little bit haha :D Thank you so much for everything!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Saleena! Another great post. I also cannot believe thats is is week 10! Wow. Anyways, I was wondering what the most common treatment are for such disorders. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vindhya! Thank you, and I swear time has flown by wayyyyy to quickly :( For OCD, since it is very biological-based, it is very responsive to medications. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  9. Hi Saleena! Another fantastic post! I really enjoyed reading your blog, and understanding different disorders and the misconceptions associated with each of them. Good luck with your final presentation and your final product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sri! Thank you so much, and I am soo happy to read everyone's lovely feedback :D I cannot believe how well it has turned out :D Good luck with your project too; you'll rock it!!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Saleena, I think that continuing your blog is a fantastic idea. You have some very exciting times to come, and it will be great to hear what is happening. Thank you so much for the shout out, it has been wonderful to be your adviser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mr. Chadwick! I am sooo excited for all the wonderful things happening this summer, and would love to be able to share some moments :D Thank you so much for helping make this project amazing!

      Delete