Thursday, February 9, 2017

Anxiety: I'm anxious to begin!

Hello, Beautiful World!

Even though I've only just started blogging, I'm in love with it and am so excited to be able to post again :) Without further ado, welcome back and let's begin with a quick tale of my Week 1 journey! ๐Ÿ˜†


This week, I began my on-site internship at A New Beginning! I'm so grateful to be able to work with a team of such lovely, kind therapists. They made me feel so welcome, and are so inspiring ๐Ÿ’• I got a more in-depth understanding of how the office works, signed some confidentiality papers (I know, I'm doing more adult, paperwork things... makes me actually feel 18 haha), and was introduced to the whole team. Although I couldn't sit-in for their whole staff meeting on Tuesday for confidentiality reasons, being a part of their conversation showed me just how kind, compassionate, and supporting these powerful women are ๐Ÿ˜Š.

Me feeling like a professional grown-up
Getting to the main point, my disorder for the week was anxiety (could you guess from the title of this post? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I tried to be punny, but let me know if you guys would rather have better/different titles haha). Before I get to the details, I'd like to start off by giving some statistics on anxiety disorders:
  • Impacting 40 million Americans (18% of the US population), anxiety disorders are the most common mental health issue.*
    • Estimates are also deemed to be much higher, almost 30% of the population, because many people do not seek out professional help, do not know they are suffering from anxiety, or are improperly diagnosed.**
  • Although anxiety disorders can be easily and effectively treated, only approximately one-third of those suffering from anxiety receive treatment.*
  • Research demonstrates that behavioral treatment, with or without medications, is an extremely effective treatment for most people diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.***
After reading about these statistics, the main question that lingered with me throughout the week was: if behavioral therapy with the guidance of a therapist is so beneficial, why are many people not pursuing treatment for their anxiety disorder(s)?


Before meeting with Taana Abbitt, a clinical therapist at A New Beginning who specializes in anxiety disorders, I did my own research. After creating a survey to send out to friends and cousins (some who have taken AP Psychology, and some who haven't), which included multiple-choice, short-answer, and true/false questions regarding their preconceived notions on anxiety disorders, I also investigated through movies that depicted anxiety disorders and/or anxiety in general. I made a list of all of the ways people perceived and presented anxiety disorders, and went in for an hour-long meeting with Taana to see a more clinical point-of-view.

Taana Abbitt, MSW, LMSW
Starting off the meeting by asking her what misconceptions patients generally came into the clinic with in terms of anxiety disorders, I learned that many people feel that it's unusual to have anxiety (shocking right, considering the statistics on anxiety?!). Even though it is very common to experience anxiety based on peoples' situations/history and is easily treated, people come in nervous, embarrassed, and ashamed, thinking that there is something wrong with them because they are experiencing anxiety symptoms. Why is it that, despite so many people facing them, anxiety disorders are considered uncommon? This quite literally blew my mind away. From here, Taana told me more about anxiety as a disorder, using the questions in my survey as a basis.

Some misconceptions:
  • Myth: Anxiety disorders come about in two ways: passed genetically or environmentally learned (learned response)
    • Truth: Yes, but anxiety disorders can also be triggered by traumatic events.
  • Myth: If you have anxiety, you should avoid things that stress you because it will trigger an anxiety attack.
    • Truth: It's actually the exact opposite (except for with phobias). When people have a fear of something, anxiety tells them to avoid that thing; when that urge to avoid is listened to, it reinforces the fear, making it harder every time to face the fear. Instead, with the guidance and help of a psychologist, they need to carefully expose themselves a little at a time to what they're afraid of and tolerate the anxiety. When repeated, the anxiety will subside because they'll see that they can face the fear. 
  • Myth: If one lives a healthy lifestyle (exercise, eat right, etc.), (s)he won't have anxiety.
    • Truth: Although self-care can reduce anxiety, it does not prevent the anxiety disorder or make it disappear. 
Some things that can be myths or truths, depending upon the case:
  • Anxiety attacks can, but do not have to be triggered by something to occur. They often are triggered by something, but it can be hard to identify and be aware of the trigger. When people come into therapy sessions, however, therapists often can help make sense of it and help identify the trigger. 
  • Medicine can sometimes be very effective in helping to treat anxiety disorders. Anxiety and panic attacks may be so overwhelming at times that behavioral techniques are not effective, especially when first learning them. Many people experience the most relief when they use a combination of medication and therapy.
  • Anxiety disorders are not always caused by chemical imbalances in the brain; they could be caused by experiences that are perceived as traumatic to the individual (including emotional trauma), meaning it overwhelms their ability to cope with and process the event.
Some thing that is deemed to be a myth, but is actually true:
  • Symptoms, although many, tend to be the same among those with anxiety disorders:
    • Common anxiety or panic attack symptoms include: elevated heart rate, shortness of breath, sense of dis-ease, muscle tension, adrenaline rush (could lead to a sick feeling and/or nausea), sense of detachment from body, dry mouth, and a sense that time has slowed down/stopped
Since the media plays a huge role in how we perceive things, I also asked Taana about she felt regarding the portrayal of anxiety disorders in Inside Out, What about Bob?, and YouTube. 
  • Inside Out:
    • Although it is animated, the portrayal of anxiety and fear is pretty accurate. Yay, Disney!!!
  • What about Bob?
    • This movie is more of a depiction of a personality dependent disorder than an anxiety disorder. Bob doesn't respect or seem aware of appropriate boundaries ๐Ÿ˜‚. Someone with an anxiety disorder would not be as bold, demanding, or persistent in general because (s)he would be too anxious and/or worried to ask for help (which is very unlike Bob-> please refer to the gif below๐Ÿ˜ถ)
  • YouTube:
    • YouTubers, such as Zoella and Meghan Rienks, are openly showing the reality of living with anxiety disorders, building a support community by creating more awareness in the public. 

Going back to my original questions, if behavioral therapy is so beneficial, why are many people not pursuing treatment for their anxiety disorder(s)? Why is it that, despite so many people facing them, anxiety disorders are considered uncommon? The simplest, one-word answer is: shame. In the US especially, we face a cultural problem that creates much shame around mental health issues. That mental health issues are something to hide. Something one should be able to fix on his or her own. We treat mental health issues like a secret, and this only reinforces the idea that something is wrong with a person who is diagnosed with them. We're creating all of these social stigmas because of our culture of invulnerability. Why is it that only one-third of those diagnosed with anxiety disorders receive treatment? Because they feel alone. They feel that they have to fix their problem on their own. But they can't. Anxiety disorders are easy to treat, but they are difficult to self-treat. With YouTubers having taken the initiative, we the people need to connect, spread awareness, and create a community where we can realize that these mental health issues that we deem so unusual are actually very common.


I hope you guys like my Week 1 post! Thank you all for following me on this journey, and showing me so much support!

Lots of love ๐Ÿ’—,

--Saleena 



Sources: 

*Facts & Statistics | Anxiety and Depression Association of America (2016, August). Retrieved October 24, 2016, from https://www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics
**Anxiety Effects on Society Statistics (2015, June). Retrieved February 7, 2017, from http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-statistics-information.shtml
***Beyond Worry: How Psychologists Help With Anxiety Disorders (2016, October). Retrieved February 8, 2017, from http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/anxiety.aspx

29 comments:

  1. Saleena! This post was really interesting and I absolutely love how you are helping make people more aware about different mental disorders and conditions. I really admire this project and will be earnestly following your journey in the world of psychological disorders *mythbusters edition*. Anxiety is actually something which my project relates to a lot (my research focuses on a behavioral therapy called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, I don't know if you've heard of it but it has been particularly effective for patients with anxiety, depression, and chronic pain). Anywhooo, your project is one which I am very much interested in (I dream of becoming a counselor someday) and yeah, I love how you are spreading awareness on anxiety and in the future, other disorders. I apologize if this comment seems disorderly or repetitive but I trust that you will take it as a sign of my enthusiasm and anticipation! Keep being a fantastic human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani! Awww <3 Thanks for showing so much support and enthusiasm! I also would like to minor in psychology; hence, I can very much relate to your interest :) I'm really glad and hopeful that my project will help make an impact on the social stigmas surrounding mental health issues. I haven't looked into Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, but I am following your blog eagerly as well; so I'll learn much more about it soon enough I'm sure! Thank you so much once again :) <3

      Delete
  2. Wow, another great post, Saleena! I am very impressed by all that you were able to learn in just the first week of our SPs. This makes me super excited to see what else you'll be able to learn. I found your Myth v. Truth section very helpful and eye-opening to what anxiety is really about. I honestly was one of those people that believed one, if not all, of those misconceptions. I also found your wide range of examples very entertaining as well as informative. Additionally, it was great to read about your perspective on anxiety's role in society. Just a quick question, speaking as a person who is not a famous YouTuber, what do you think are some ways (or is the most effective way) that we can promote awareness of the impact anxiety can play, even in our daily lives? Once again, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kiri :) I'm also just as impressed that within a mere few days I was able to learn so much, and become even more passionate about psychology (while also writing a post that I'm very proud of :)). To be honest, I also definitely had held some of those myths to be true. I'm glad you liked the examples (I aim to please haha); I really want my posts to be relatable and inclusive for everyone (so that they all can see through this new point-of-view). In terms of your question, I think it's important to build a supportive community where people feel comfortable enough to talk about their issues honestly without being afraid of being judged. Also, when we see/hear/read about media that portrays a disorder falsely, I think it's important to do your own research, and not just believe what's told in movies and books without question. I hope that helped! Thank you for reading and showing so much support!

      Delete
  3. Awesome post! I love it. Your enthusiasm for this project really comes through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thank you , Stirling! I'm really happy you enjoyed my post :) Thank you for all of your support <3

      Delete
  4. It is absolutely wonderful to see your project blossom as it has. The passion behind your topic really shines through with your first post. Associating the reality of disorders with media and entertainment is a nice touch, as I feel this is where the majority of our population receive their information. I cannot wait for next weeks post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr. Chadwick! I am so grateful for all of your support and guidance in making my project as it is :) I very much agree with discussing the link (or lack thereof) between the truth behind some very common mental health issues and the media; it makes this topic so much more relevant and relatable for all audiences. Thank you for everything!

      Delete
  5. Hi again Saleena! This post was itself interesting and easy to read, especially because you listed the misconception and then the truth so the relations are easy to see. In your post, you mentioned that anxiety attacks can be caused by triggers, such as traumatic memories. I was wondering if you know what other triggers there are, and if there are any triggers that many people diagnosed with anxiety have in common? Also, how can one have an anxiety attack without a trigger to set it off? And how often do people diagnosed with anxiety have attacks, with or without triggers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Annalise! I'm glad that the format I've used is to the liking of everyone :) Gives me great feedback in terms of how to format future posts; thank you! Anxiety disorders themselves can be caused by traumatic events in one's life. Anxiety attacks, on the other hand, can occur randomly or when one is stressed/worried. The random aspect usually does have a trigger, but it can be hard to pinpoint exactly what it is in the moment (one may need a therapist to help guide him/her to what caused the attack). Triggers can be a variety of things, anywhere from being stressed- consciously or unconsciously- to recollecting a bad memory. I'm not quite sure if there are any common triggers among those diagnosed with anxiety, but I'd think stress is a major one (feeling worried/anxious can lead one to be more worried/anxious- one thing leads to the next, and they may cause a full blown attack). I think that there isn't a certain number or range I can give in terms of how often people diagnosed with anxiety have attacks because it varies, depending upon the severity of the disorder, their lifestyle, behavioral techniques, and their circumstances. I hope that helps! Thank you :D

      Delete
  6. Hey Saleena! I love your topic and your research is already incredibly in-depth. Also, the way you structured your blog was extremely helpful. Every time I would come up with a question, it was soon answered and easy to find. Because most people are ashamed of having a anxiety issue, do you think that being educated about it in school or in some sort of seminar would help them overcome their fear? Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathan! Thank you for writing such a sweet comment :) I'm so glad you like the blog format and the topic! I think that education starting in the classroom environment is so important and beneficial for kids to be more conscientious and supportive of mental health issues from an early age. Creating this community would help people feel more comfortable about their problems, and more willing to get the help they need. Thank you for being such a wonderful reader :D <3

      Delete
  7. Hi Saleena!
    When reading your blog, I can feel your passion and enthusiasm to learn about this field of psychology, which only makes this blog that much more interesting! Do you think the stigma surrounding these mental disorders is easy to reverse, or will it's prescense always be lurking behind mental disorders? This post was an eye opener for me, especially with your myth vs truth section. I can not wait for your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Layla! Thank you so much for leaving such a positive comment :) I really love my project, and can't wait to get further into it. I think that this definitely won't be an easy, short process, but one that will take time and effort to reach the whole public. It will be hard to get people more comfortable and understanding about mental health issues, but not impossible. I hope that helps answer your question. Thank you once again :D

      Delete
  8. How do psychologists differentiate anxiety as a disorder from a regular human emotion? I think part of the reason that people don't seek treatment for anxiety (at least this is the case with my friend's dad) is that they perceive their behavior as normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole! It all has to do with the frequency and severity of the anxiety (whether or not it prevents people from doing the things in their life that they should or need to be doing). Also, if it’s hard to control the worry, and if one has anxiety more days than they don’t have it. Another thing that makes it more likely a disorder is if the anxiety is felt in more than one situation (whether it be home, work, school, etc.). I hope that helps!

      Delete
  9. This is so great. It is awesome that you reached out to so many different kinds of people to understand how different backgrounds can influence perceptions of anxiety. Before this research, have you actively noticed stigmas against mental illness in your life? Whether it be with people you know, in pop culture, etc. Can't wait for next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julia! I'm so glad that you liked my first weekly post, and found it relatable :D I feel that the times I have most actively noticed stigmas against mental illness in my life have been my during my trips to India. The social stigmas are much more apparent there, with people being very harsh and looking down at those with mental issues with disdain. However, I am seeing more Bollywood movies addressing the social stigma surrounding these health issues, and just how normal and common these illnesses can be, encouraging people to be more open about getting help. Telling people that it's okay to not be okay. I hope that helps answer your question! Thank you for reading :))

      Delete
  10. Hi Saleena! Your week sounds like it was really eye-opening! It is good to see how you formed a greater outlook from your research and the people you met. I haven't taken Psychology, and I don't know much about this, but in terms of anxiety attacks, is there a specific neurotransmitter that is involved? It is also good that you are considering the cultural problems and societal problems in terms of the different mental disorders. Can't wait hear more from your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sri! Thank you for leaving such a wonderful comment :) I'm very happy that you enjoyed the content. In terms of your question, I think you would need to consult a neurologist as it's not something that therapists are trained in. However, I do know that several parts of the brain are involved during a panic attack. Sorry, I hope that helps answer some of your question! Thank you once again :D

      Delete
  11. Hi, Saleena! I'm so sorry for being late to comment on your blog, but your Week 1 post was amazing! I learned so much about anxiety, and I can't wait to learn even more in your next post! I loved your Myth vs. Truth section, and I'm sincerely happy that Disney was able to accurately portray anxiety as they actually did three years of research for the making of Inside Out. I just have one little question: are anxiety disorders more likely to be genetic or environmentally learned? Also, are there different "types" of anxiety disorders, ones that are more severe than others? Again, sorry for being late, and congrats on winning blog of the week! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Korina! That's no problem at all :) Thank you so much; I'm glad you liked it a lot! You'll be sure to see more Disney in the media section (especially Inside Out- they really did do a fantastic job!) :D In terms of your first question, I think it really varies per person, and you can't really predict it (both are probably equally as likely). There are different types of anxiety disorders-phobias, generalized anxiety disorder, etc.- but the severity really depends on the person and the trigger. I hope that helps answer those questions. Thank you once again for leaving such a sweet comment- I really appreciate it :D

      Delete
  12. Hi Saleena!

    I loved your blog post this week! It was very interesting and easy-to-read. You mentioned several times that behavioral therapy is incredibly helpful in treating these disorders. I was wondering if you could go a little more in-depth about what it entails and how it works? Additionally, do have any information about the difference between the prevalence of anxiety in adults and children/teens? Thanks! I can't wait to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nitya! I'm so glad you loved my first weekly post- expect more like it soon :D Behavioral therapy basically identifies and changes unhealthy behaviors in people by changing their reactions and way of thinking about problems (ex. breathing techniques). Anxiety disorders affects a broad range of ages; however, I do not know the difference between adults and children/teens in terms of prevalence. I hope that helps answer your questions! Thanks for reading :D

      Delete
  13. Hi Saleena! I was really fascinated by the beginning of your internship. Mainly, I was struck by how many people suffer from anxiety disorders in the United States and I was wondering if certain countries or regions have higher rates of anxiety than others? Thanks and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Millie! Those statistics shocked me as well, especially considering that so many patients still come in thinking anxiety disorders to be uncommon. I think that the rate of anxiety really varies in each country/region based upon the culture and social stigmas there. Countries that are more open about them will have higher rates because more people would be willing to seek out the help they need, while countries that put shame on mental health issues will have lower rates (not because less people have them, but because less people talk about it and get help). I hope that helps :D Thank you <3

      Delete
  14. Hi Saleena! The amount of people suffering from axiety shocked me. I always assumed the anxiety i feel with school was bad, but it was suprising to learn that anxiety can be so much worse. I am wondering, is there any specific occupation that has higher rates of anxiety or if it just depends on the person and the environemtn they are in?
    Thank you and cant wait to learn about the next disorder in week 2!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pooja! I think people just don't realize just how common anxiety is in the rest of the world. We see it as a problem with ourselves, when there are other people struggling with the same situation. I don't know of any specific occupation that has higher rates of anxiety, because it truly depends on the person, their behavioral/reactions to stress, and the environment. I hope that helps! Thank you :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Saleena! I really love this post! I was wondering if one gender suffers from these anxiety disorders over the other. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete